Thursday 4 November 2010

This time a year ago...

This time a year ago, I was done.
This time a year ago, I was in pain.
This time a year ago, I was eating a hospital dinner.
This time a year ago, I thought I could not get any lower.
This time a year ago, I had 24 staples in my head, neck and belly.
This time a year ago, I was wondering if I could ever possibly smile again.
This time a year ago, I was wondering if I would ever get my sight back fully.
This time a year ago, I was reassuring my children that I would live for another day.

This time a year ago, I was a brain surgery survivor.

Today, I am alive.
Today, I am done.
Today, I can see again.
Today, I am still in pain but able to cope
.Today, I remember how to smile and use it to light my way.
Today, I ate a home cooked dinner and enjoyed every minute of it.

Today, I have scars that remind me every day of what could have been.
Today, I comfort a sick child and remember when it was me who needed caring for.
Today, I celebrated my brainiversary by eating chocolate, drinking Coke and doing a uni assignment.

Today, I am a brain surgery survivor.

No comments: