Tuesday 10 May 2011

BE AWARE! NEW SCAM!

Anyone who knows me knows I am not one to blah blah about scams and viruses etc. on the internet because so many stuatuses on Facebook and emails that go around are bogus but this one happened to my family this week so I really wanted to get it out there and make as many people aware of it as I can so no one else can get ripped off by these people!
My Mother in Law was contacted the other day after putting a caravan for sale on the classifieds.

The man who contacted her claimed to be working on an oil rig up north so had no phone access and wanted to pay through Pay Pal. My Mother in Law, being unfamiliar with the internet, phoned me and asked what to do so I gave her my email address for the man to use my Pay Pal account.

Yesterday I recieved and email claiming to be from Pay Pal stating the money was ready to be tranferred I just needed to do a Western Union Money Transfer of $950 to his courier for shipping the caravan.

I, thankfully, have been using Pay Pal for many years and had alarm bells ringing so contacted Pay Pal because the whole thing seemed a bit suspect.

This morning another email was received by the man telling us to do a transfer of $2500 so we contacted the Scamwatch people.

They knew all about it, the address we gave that the man had told us to send the money to was well known to them.

Basically, it is a new scam happening where they are contacting people through classified ads and attempting to scam money from them.

I am so glad my Mother in Law had us there to help her out or it could ahve been a very costly mistake for her.

Please pass this on and be very careful when selling things through classifieds as I would hate anyone to get scammed!

No comments: